T.RE.C.C.

Royal Palace and Park at Caserta

reggia-di-caserta1The 18th-Century Royal Palace at Caserta, with the Park, the Aqueduct of Vanvitelli, and the San Leucio Complex is recognized because of the way in which it was adapted to the surrounding landscape and integrated already existing elements. King Charles of Bourbon wanted a Royal Palace inland from Naples, the latter being too vulnerable for attacks from sea. The choice fell upon the ancient fief of Caserta.
Luigi Vanvitelli was chosen as architect. The first stone was laid in 1752. He wasn't able to finish his work ( he died in 1773). His son Carlo followed in his footsteps, and finished the impressive 250 m. wide façade and the five floors of the building. Inside, there are some 1200 rooms and 1790 windows. The work on the gardens was started in 1753: they were designed after the models of Schönbrunn and Aranjuez. They measure 120 ha..
The “Royal Palace and Park at Caserta Historic Centre of Naples” was inscribed in 1997 as Word Heritage Site as secular structure and Palace for architecture (designed by famous architects, English garden, French formal garden), constructions (aqueducts, libraries, monumental fountains) and human activities ( silk manufacture).

Share Button

Images - Culture

  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter
  • VTEM Shutter

Banner-verticale

Website optimized for Internet Explorer 9, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Copyright © 2013 T.Re.C.C. Turismo Religioso Cooperativo Campano - Via Conte Carlo di Castelmola 14 - 80133 Napoli